Supreme Creative Remix
"A Grand Mother" by Candy Elsmore
Lawrence Lessig said this beautiful digital story was "Simple, clean, unbelievably compelling." This entry won over the judges with the engaging presentation style, and a story that deserves retelling to a modern audience. Award sponsored by Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand
The $5000 supreme creative remix award goes to the outstanding creative remix that demonstrates the value of Creative Commons, public domain, no known copyright, or openly licensed New Zealand digital content.
Selected Judges' Comments:
"First of all a great story, one that needs celebrating and retelling, and this has been achieved. A very innovative treatment mixing stills, music and then the way the video reveals the story through careful placement of the images and text - a very well executed and engaging story."
"I'm a sucker for anything that makes me cry."
Candy's description of the entry:
In my video ‘A Grand Mother’ I wanted to convey the feelings of pride and delight that my family felt when we discovered that our grandmother / great grandmother had signed the Suffrage Petition over 100 years ago. As the story is quite personal in nature I wanted the approach of the video to reflect that so I filmed it in one continuous take as though the viewer had popped around for a cuppa and was sitting at my table while I told them the story of Mary Edith. Another reason I wanted to tell the story in a ‘conversational’ and ‘low tech’ kind of way was to prove to myself as much as anyone that the huge amount of digital information on the web is available to be interpreted and presented in such a way that it becomes personally involving and meaningful storytelling. It seems to me there is an incalculable amount of information in the cloud but it’s just a means to an end if we can’t find the personal connections with it to bring it to life and give it real value and meaning. Although the story of ‘A Grand Mother’ is quite a personal family story I think the importance of ancestors and family is universally held and as such I hope it will resonate with many. As the whakatauki says “Ui mai koe ki ahau he aha te mea nui o te ao, Māku e kī atu he tangata, he tangata, he tangata! Ask me what is the greatest thing in the world, I will reply: It is people, it is people, it is people!” ‘A Grand Mother’ is the first edited video I’ve ever made – I just got my digital video camera a couple of months ago. It was great fun to research and make, and most of all I’m really pleased that I made it for my family to watch and keep. Thank you for providing the opportunity and for being the catalyst.
- Images, Text, Information Mary Edith Aberhart c.1910, no known copyright restrictions Grove Road, Blenheim c.1885, Alfred & Walter Burton, collection of Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki, accession number 1976/15/36, http://www.aucklandartgallery.com/the-collection/browse-artwork/4361/grove-road,-blenheim, no known copyright restrictions
- Mr J.H. Aberhart, pg.374, The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts], Author: Cyclopedia Company Limited, 1906, Christchurch. Reproduced at http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-Cyc05Cycl-t1-body1-d2-d26-d1.html#Cyc05Cycl-fig-Cyc05Cycl374a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand Licence (BY-SA)
- Mrs Mary Teague and her children, no known copyright restrictions
- Excerpt from WOMEN'S FRANCHISE. Mr Buick’s Views. Marlborough Express, Volume XXVII, Issue 68, 21 March 1891, Page 4 source: http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz no known copyright restrictions
- Excerpt from FEMALE FRANCHISE. Marlborough Express, Volume XXVIII, Issue 229, 27 September 1892, Page 2. Author unknown, source: http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz no known copyright restrictions
- Excerpt from The Franchise, Marlborough Express, Volume XXIX, Issue 172, 13 July 1893, Page 2, Author unknown, source: http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz no known copyright restrictions
- 1893 Women's Suffrage Petition, Excel Format, From: Archives New Zealand Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga, by: Archives New Zealand, Creative Commons Attribution New Zealand Licence (CC-BY)
- Family photos 1,2,3, C Elsmore, Creative Commons Attribution New Zealand Licence (CC-BY)
- ‘Brief history - women and the vote', URL: http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/politics/womens-suffrage/brief-history, (Ministry for Culture and Heritage) Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand (CC BY-NC 3.0)
- Music ‘Super Happy’ by Wet Wings, Lil’ Chief Records, http://wetwings.lilchiefrecords.com/ Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0)